My weekday lunches are not your traditional lunches at all. I’m a firm believer in eating small portions several times a day so my brown bags usually consists of a protein-packed bar, various cheeses, dairy products, and fruit.
Last week, I miscalculated my and totally ended up buying far too many bananas to last my work week. By the time the weekend would be over, my bananas would be a little too ripe (ie.: extra brown) to bring to my Monday to Friday. This is when I decided to get up extra early on a Saturday morning to whip up and creat my very own take of an Oreo banana cream pie. Let me tell you that this pie was a wonderful excuse to make use of my leftover fruit.
Simple to prepare, this pie boasts a sweet Oreo crust with a perfectly crunchy consistency to balance the softness of the ripe bananas.
Marble Crumbs’ Banana Cream Pie with an Oreo Crust
34 Oreo cookies
4 tbsp melted butter
1 pack of instant vanilla pudding
473mL whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
– Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
– In a food processor, pulse 25 of the Oreo cookies until there are no longer any large chunks left – all pieces should be pulsed into small crumbs.
– Place your Oreo crumbs in a large mixing bowl and combine with 4 tbsp melted butter. Mix until all of the Oreos are well-coated.
– Place your mixture on a glass pie pan and flatten it with your hands until the pie pan is completely covered with the Oreo crumbs.
– Place in oven and bake for 7 minutes, let cool completely before assembling the rest of the pie.
Pie Filling and Structure
– Prepare vanilla pudding according to package directions and set aside.
– Using a stand or handheld mixer, start whipping cream starting with the lowest setting and working your way up to medium speed. As the cream starts to thicken, gradually mix in the sugar and start mixing on the high setting until the combination reaches the consistency of whipped cream. Set aside.
– Once the vanilla pudding has cooled down, place into Oreo pie crust then layer with 3 bananas that are cut into small, bite-size pieces. Next, layer on the whipped cream. Garnish pie with the rest of the Oreo cookies and banana.
Cool pie in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.